So, I've had a lot on my mind, but as can be expected I've been busy with my calling and family. I really don't know exactly where to start so here it goes...
I have realized many, many things about Relief Society. First compared to the YW/YM, Elders Quorum, Primary and the High Priest we the RS are the most diverse. We have the biggest ranges in age and I think that contributes to both our strengths and challenges. I think because there are so many of us with so many perspectives in one organization it helps us to have a broader outlook. I also think that one reason the RS is heavily relied on is because it is easier for us to all come together and get things done. The challenge is since the age range vary so much it's harder for all of us to relate to each other. I don't know how many women I've talked to who say they don't feel comfortable in RS. These comments certainly don't just come from the younger sisters. I've heard women say that who are grandmas and great-grandmas and I've heard it from sisters who have had the opportunity to be RS president. So, what is the solution???? Well, I can't say I have a really specific answer, but I know one very broad answer is we need more unity. I also think that it is important for RS sisters to realize that you don't need to know how to quilt and be super crafty in order to fit in. We all have interest and needs that the RS organization can fulfill. Another idea I've had is that the transition from YW and RS can really affect your feelings of RS.
More recently I've had some other realizations because of what I see as the RS president...
...if the bishop or even the RS president ask you to do something a certain way...there's a very good reason why even if we can't tell you why that is. Whether it's the Spirit of revelation or because we know some information about someone that we can not give out.
...there are so many giving people and it is those giving people that help the church fulfill it's purposes. A few weeks ago a lady passed away in our ward and are dear amazing Compassionate Service Leader was out of town. I was able to see the ward come together and serve that family.
I'm certainly learning so much, but I know I've got a long ways to go.


No comments:
Post a Comment