The Chantry's

The Chantry's

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Matthew's Birth Story

The last couple of weeks before Matthew was born I had been doing what I could to get things going. Going for long walks, running up and down stairs, basically just staying busy and keeping my body in motion. My last Dr's appointment made me feel like that really wasn't doing much to help things progress, but I figured if anything it would help build my endurance for when I did get induced. If I labored for another 21ish hours like I did with Chloe I'd definitely would need endurance. The Monday before his arrival I was doing one of my exercise routines when I thought that maybe my water had leaked, but wasn't sure I called the doctors office and they said if it happened again to go to labor and delivery. I had a non stress test to take that day and the nurse said I definitely was in early labor. That was exciting to me because I never experienced early labor on my own without pitocin. I wasn't in any kind of pain. The only thing that seemed different was that Matthew was extra active. That night we went over to my in-laws and played some card games. Before we left I noticed my water had seemed to leak again. I really didn't want to go to labor and delivery because I was tired and it was such a small amount I figured they'd send me home. However, they had said that I needed to go no matter how small of amount it was. So, we took Chloe home got her in bed and my mother-in-law come over and stayed while my husband and I went to labor and delivery. The nurse said I was at a 3 and 90% effaced, but I tested negative for amniotic fluid. She said if we wanted to we could go home or they could monitor me to see if I was progressing any. I figured it would be nice to go home and get some sleep and if things got painful or whatever then we could go back and have them check me again. I didn't get much sleep that night, but it felt good at least that Scott did and at least I got some "rest."

On Tuesday I noticed more liquid, but again it wasn't very much and I didn't really want to go back again to labor and delivery just to be told that it wasn't what I thought it was. I was busy that day getting all the last things I had wanted to get done and spending quality time with my baby girl. That was the last day she would be the "baby" of our family and the last day I would have all of me to devote just to her so I wanted to make it count. That night after dinner I got this urge to go on a drive with her and my husband. She loves the waterfall up the canyon, so we went there. It felt so special to be up there all together. Chloe is not the cuddly type, but she instantly became cuddly as we stood and watched the waterfall. She held onto me and then Scott for the longest time just hugging us. She told us that she "lofed mommy," and "lofed daddy." I don't know if she knew what was about to happen, but looking back it sure seems that way. When we got home I got out of the car, I felt a sharp pain as I started to walk which wasn't unusual for me. I'd stand up and after I got going the pain would go away, but this time there was a little pop of water. I went inside to change my clothes. Chloe was asking me what was going on so I told her that I had spilled water on myself, but then my water just started to gush and gush. I knew that story wasn't going to hold up so, I just told her I had had an accident. Chloe kept saying over and over "good girl, mommy." Silly girl! Anyway, Scott got a bunch of towels and we cleaned things up as best we could at the time without taking to much time. My doctor had said if my water broke to get to the hospital quickly, because I had a lot of amniotic fluid which would put me at a higher risk for a prolapse cord. So, with a towel wrapped around me and extra towels underneath me we rushed to the hospital. We met my in-law half way to the hospital on the side of the road. They grabbed Chloe and her car seat. We got to the hospital and I felt so silly with the towel wrapped around my wet shorts. I knew people we're doing their best not to stare at me, which I appreciated haha. 

When we got to labor and delivery they checked me and I was at a 4. I was in some pain, by the time I got all dressed in their lovely gowns and they got the IV going, but it wasn't bad. I asked that they not do pitoicin unless I needed it. I went an hour or two and my contractions we're starting to get really uncomfortable so I asked for an epidural. After I got the epidural I went from a 4 to a 7 in about 10 min. By 11pm I was at an 8 and stayed that way until 3 or 4am when they said the magic word..."c section" and I said PLEASE put me on pitocin. I have no desire to ever have a c section. They put it on a very low dose until about 6 or 7 am when they turned it up quite a bit. By 8:30am they had me start pushing. I pushed him out in 2 1/2 pushes. It was so wonderful to meet him. I loved being able to hold him and comfort him. When they placed him on me he was crying. As I began to talk to him he stopped crying and just looked at me. It was such a sweet moment. 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for posting your story! I love hearing everyone's labor and delivery stories. I am glad everything started naturally for you and wasn't as long and exhausting as your first. You are an amazing mother.

    ReplyDelete

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers